- System: Windows 10 64-BIT build 19044.2251
- Muse Hub: 18.104.22.1684
Muse Hub seems to setup a windows service at installation named "Muse Hub Background Service".
When uninstalling Muse Hub, the service stays installed and stills runs at startup unconditionally. The service cannot be permanently disabled or removed manually even with with administrator rights.
This also means Muse Hub's service-related files are still present on the computer.
In fact, looking at the service from the service manager or the registry, we can see they are located in C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Muse.MuseHub_22.214.171.1244_x64__rb9pth70m6nz6\. Using a linux dual boot (since Windows protects WindowsApps access even from administrator), we can see that all files remain (exe, dll, json, etc...).
The service should be fully uninstalled or at least permanently disabled when Muse Hub is uninstalled.
How to reproduce
- Install Muse Hub from the link provided on the Musescore website (https://musescore.org/en/download) for Windows 10 64-BIT
- Check "Muse Hub Background Service" is running using Windows' service manager
- Uninstall Muse Hub from Windows' "Apps & features" manager
- Reboot Windows
- Run Windows' service manager as administrator and check that "Muse Hub Background Service" is running and cannot be permanently disabled:
- With a administrator command line, check the service cannot be removed :
The only workaround I know of is to edit directly Windows' registry to forcefully disable the service by editing "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Muse Hub Background Service" and setting Start to 4 (disabled).
Similarly, files could probably be removed using a linux live / dual boot or any other method allowing to bypass WindowsApps restrictions.
Please sign in to leave a comment.